This is my 174th post. I am aiming for 200 posts before the end of the calendar year. Given my past record, this will be a task. If I get a job I might have a tougher time of it but I will give it a go.
I found myself doing nothing today. I ran and got my mile in today. I got in some core exercises too. I then found myself reading a triathlon magazine and I realize I have a lot more to do and a long way to go. I also realize I am not doing nearly enough to make myself stronger for the upcoming marathon or the ultra, much less the run for an Ironman in a couple years. A whole lot of my lack of training is mental. I know this. I need to get past my past behaviors. I need to move my mind into the present. I notice I am becoming more mindful of my thoughts and as a result, I am becoming increasingly mindful of my behaviors and my physcal state at any given point in the day.
There is nothing other than now.
There is nothing other than now.
Infinite patience yields immediate results.
Greeting to all my followers! I realized I passed my one year mark but I am incredibly grateful that I am still around. I am grateful for those of you who remain as well!
1. I ran my long run yesterday at a 9:30 pace. I will be doing crosstraining and foamroll today and I will work in a run this weekend.
2. My son has finally started caring about his fellow classmates at school and his behavior is improving. I am far less concerned that he is getting the rewards his teacher provides than I am about his concern for his classroom experience. Next week is parent-teacher conferences.
3. I am finally getting organized around the house and making a list of blog topics as well. Hopefully, I can finally get around to writing those entries.
4. My daughter loves her new school. She is finally being challenged and there are no reports of acting out we had at her previous school. In years past, she would get bored with her teachers or her curriculum and she would bite. None of that this year. She is happy with school. She gets to sing, dance, make art almost every day.
5. Two months unemployed and I realize more and more how much I do not miss my job. Yes, I miss the money and I am currently looking for something to do while the kids are in school, but I am realizing that I could not ethically continue to do the things they were expecting me to do. That job was 85-90% paperwork, 5% school-related duties (meetings that addressed nothing I needed to know, lunch duty, going into the special education classroom to provide services I was not qualified to provide to students I did not have on my caseload, etc.), 8% prep time, and perhaps some time to get to providing therapy for the students. That leftover time was to be therapy but at what cost? Sacrificing therapy quality for the needs of some state protocol or some protocol set forth by the district which ends up being busy work at best is unethical and mind-numbing. I have probably alluded to how I feel and think about that job in the past, but my wife still works there and things are even worse this year than last.
I am looking forward now. I am getting fit in the process. I am pushing myself and my hope is to get good enough to find a sponsor or two. I am entertaining thoughts about how to make money for now since this whole getting a job thing is not working too well. I have filled out applications online and nothing has come to fruition, not even a call for interview. I am waiting for Road Runner Sports to get back to me. I talked with the newly appointed store supervisor and explained that all I want is part-time work. She sent an email to their human resources department and we are waiting now.
Fall is here (even in the
pits of Hell desert and runs are easier and heat runs are basically over. Although 86 degrees is still hot for doing long runs, I can manage.
I know it has been awhile since I actually posted. I have been creating posts in my head and I even thought of some pics for Wordless Wednesdays. A lot has been happening that I need to write about but I am still too mentally cloudy to put it all down yet. But, just a few things…
- A friend gave us a really nice juicer and it is rather awesome. Not a blender but an actual blender. I am extremely grateful for that.
- I am currently still unemployed, so actual juicing is not really in the picture.
- I am not a fan of online job applications. I have applied for several jobs but, they do not generally contact you unless they are going to interview you. This is rather rude considering all you have to go through for some of these applications. One site basically ran me through the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (a personality test). This application took 1.5 hours to complete. One site sent me an email saying they were going with other applicants at this time. No explanation, no way of contacting anyone about this. I get that I might be overqualified to work in a running apparel store, but give me the chance to discuss this before you dismiss me. There must be some reason I left my previous full-time job with a salary and benefits to apply for a minimum wage job.
- I found some nice minimal shoes at Ross for only $40. That was really awesome. These shoes are Vibram Minimus and they are the real deal. It is like wearing a tough pair of socks. They do not carry the heat and they allow my feet to splay out as if I were barefoot.
- I discovered my new best friend, The Stick. I bought it years ago for ITB issues but, now I use it to roll my calves and recovery is amazing. I am able to do over 30 miles a week now.
- I am swimming between 300 and 1000 meters every day in the pool before or after I run. I will be starting my new training schedule soon. I figure I will do as I did last year, start on October first.
- I signed up to volunteer for an aide station at the Ironman Arizona this year. This allows me to have first dibs (besides the current participants) at signing up for the race next year.
Thank you for continuing to be patient with me. Namaste.
1. I will get more awards finished this weekend.
2. I do not really feel like blogging right now.
3. I am incredibly happy there have been a lot of posts to read today!
4. I have a paper to edit so it may take awhile (no run tonight but weights instead).
5. I have to go into my garage (probably tomorrow) and sort through it so I can fit at least one car in from the summer swelter.
Why am I blogging this and why should you care? I blog it because announcing intention to do something helps one to do it. (OMG, what will they think if I don’t do it? Not that I care, but the human mind still works that way). You should care because you care enough to read this. How much care y have depends on you. More another time. Love you all.
I did not meet my goal this weekend. I was hella tired because I got little sleep with my children waking up I the middle of the night (one each night) for a few hours. When they were awake, they kids needed extra attention because they always do this when I need to do something. I got housework done but little else. I did get started on the Versatile Blogger nomination and will post that once I get all my own nominees entered. The others will come shortly after.