online job applications
Summer officially begins for my family today. The kids had summer camp for the 4 weeks after school was out so it was not really summer yet. Even though they only went for 3 hours a day for 4 weeks, it was still school. Tomorrow we go to the LEGO Movie at the summer movies. We have not seen it yet. We bought the Blu-Ray but we wanted the kids to have something to look forward to so we held off watching it at home. They are still reluctant to go to the theater at times so seeing a movie they have not seen yet might be motivation as well.
Education. We are continuing their education over the summer but we make it as fun as we can. Dictator is getting good at reading and can even sit and read some material by himself. Her Majesty wants desperately to do the same activities as her brother but still struggles. This is a point of contention for him because he wants to do his work by himself. We bought membership to the science museum so we will be going there many times over the month before school starts again. Fortunately, they are now going to the same school so they start and end not only at the same time but in the same location. This saves a lot of travel time.
I am slowly getting the garage not only straightened but also cleared of a lot of garbage we have collected over the years. This task is getting slower as the kids get older because 4 people generate more junk than 2. Stuff that goes in the garage tends to disappear, though if it not remembered within a couple weeks. The real difficulty is getting rid of things that we ‘might’ need in the future. I have noticed that a lot of the time things we dispose of tend to become useful shortly after they are gone. We also need to have both springs on the garage door replaced. A few months ago I remember the door slamming down harder than normal but I did not think much of it. Right after, the door would not open on its own anymore. I noticed that a couple wires were loose and I have spent a few months problem-solving the door from time to time. It occurred to me that the spring might be broken but thinking back, one of the springs was always broken and it never occurred to me that it was running on one spring until it was pointed out by my mother-in-law. I realize now that one of the springs has always been broken.
We are looking at possibly going to Sea World this summer, if we can swing it. I spent a lot of summer vacations in my youth in San Diego because my uncle lived/lives there. For awhile my grandmother was there as well. Those were fun times. My kids want to go to a beach and I really want them to experience all the fun of Sea World. We would also get to see family.
This has become a travesty. Applying for a cashier job and I do not even get a ‘Thank you for applying’ letter. I believe I have said this before, applying for a job online is a ridiculous and soul-sucking endeavor. Not being able to contact a real person for a job that requires less skill than it takes to walk and breathe at the same time is silly. Want to know what is even more ridiculous? I will tell you. The jobs I apply for have been open since I first applied a year ago. Even a job like a baker that does require some knowledge and skill could involve training and am fairly sure I could have become a proficient baker in an entire year of on-the-job training.
I may just look into one of these at-home businesses. Maybe I can sell people vitamins or something. I am past doing jobs I can’t believe in, though. I have to do some research. I have seen a few that might work but most of the products are just soulless, manufactured crap aimed at making a buck. Of course, this is the majority of what it seems people do these days anyway. Maybe I am just aiming for a standard too high for the workplace today.
I run when I can. I am focusing on mountain running. We are running in the Solemates Tryptophun Run this fall. Fortunately, this is local and we can actually practice/train on the course we will be racing on. It is also a 7 mile loop so, even if someone gets lost, someone can still be easily be found. I need to work because the races I want to race in are beginning to cost a lot more money. The three races I want to race in this winter will cost over $500 just for race fees. This does not include time to train, nutrition, and equipment.
Alta. I have a pair of Alta shoes that I have only used a few times. The sole is coming away from the upper. I am sad about this because I thought these were well made shoes. I might try another model but I think I will try for a pair of Skora or Vibrams for the 100 mile race. Fortunately, the loop is only 7 miles, So I can test different shoes for distance on the day of the race.
Greeting to all my followers! I realized I passed my one year mark but I am incredibly grateful that I am still around. I am grateful for those of you who remain as well!
1. I ran my long run yesterday at a 9:30 pace. I will be doing crosstraining and foamroll today and I will work in a run this weekend.
2. My son has finally started caring about his fellow classmates at school and his behavior is improving. I am far less concerned that he is getting the rewards his teacher provides than I am about his concern for his classroom experience. Next week is parent-teacher conferences.
3. I am finally getting organized around the house and making a list of blog topics as well. Hopefully, I can finally get around to writing those entries.
4. My daughter loves her new school. She is finally being challenged and there are no reports of acting out we had at her previous school. In years past, she would get bored with her teachers or her curriculum and she would bite. None of that this year. She is happy with school. She gets to sing, dance, make art almost every day.
5. Two months unemployed and I realize more and more how much I do not miss my job. Yes, I miss the money and I am currently looking for something to do while the kids are in school, but I am realizing that I could not ethically continue to do the things they were expecting me to do. That job was 85-90% paperwork, 5% school-related duties (meetings that addressed nothing I needed to know, lunch duty, going into the special education classroom to provide services I was not qualified to provide to students I did not have on my caseload, etc.), 8% prep time, and perhaps some time to get to providing therapy for the students. That leftover time was to be therapy but at what cost? Sacrificing therapy quality for the needs of some state protocol or some protocol set forth by the district which ends up being busy work at best is unethical and mind-numbing. I have probably alluded to how I feel and think about that job in the past, but my wife still works there and things are even worse this year than last.
I am looking forward now. I am getting fit in the process. I am pushing myself and my hope is to get good enough to find a sponsor or two. I am entertaining thoughts about how to make money for now since this whole getting a job thing is not working too well. I have filled out applications online and nothing has come to fruition, not even a call for interview. I am waiting for Road Runner Sports to get back to me. I talked with the newly appointed store supervisor and explained that all I want is part-time work. She sent an email to their human resources department and we are waiting now.
Fall is here (even in the
pits of Hell desert and runs are easier and heat runs are basically over. Although 86 degrees is still hot for doing long runs, I can manage.
I know it has been awhile since I actually posted. I have been creating posts in my head and I even thought of some pics for Wordless Wednesdays. A lot has been happening that I need to write about but I am still too mentally cloudy to put it all down yet. But, just a few things…
- A friend gave us a really nice juicer and it is rather awesome. Not a blender but an actual blender. I am extremely grateful for that.
- I am currently still unemployed, so actual juicing is not really in the picture.
- I am not a fan of online job applications. I have applied for several jobs but, they do not generally contact you unless they are going to interview you. This is rather rude considering all you have to go through for some of these applications. One site basically ran me through the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (a personality test). This application took 1.5 hours to complete. One site sent me an email saying they were going with other applicants at this time. No explanation, no way of contacting anyone about this. I get that I might be overqualified to work in a running apparel store, but give me the chance to discuss this before you dismiss me. There must be some reason I left my previous full-time job with a salary and benefits to apply for a minimum wage job.
- I found some nice minimal shoes at Ross for only $40. That was really awesome. These shoes are Vibram Minimus and they are the real deal. It is like wearing a tough pair of socks. They do not carry the heat and they allow my feet to splay out as if I were barefoot.
- I discovered my new best friend, The Stick. I bought it years ago for ITB issues but, now I use it to roll my calves and recovery is amazing. I am able to do over 30 miles a week now.
- I am swimming between 300 and 1000 meters every day in the pool before or after I run. I will be starting my new training schedule soon. I figure I will do as I did last year, start on October first.
- I signed up to volunteer for an aide station at the Ironman Arizona this year. This allows me to have first dibs (besides the current participants) at signing up for the race next year.
Thank you for continuing to be patient with me. Namaste.